Sunday, July 22, 2012

Monster Battle

I love living in Santa Fe, and have become especially fond of the art group Meow Wolf.  Meow Wolf makes art an interactive experience.



On Sunday, July 22nd, Meow Wolf hosted their fifth annual Monster Battle. Anyone in Santa Fe was invited to dress up as a monster, ninja, alien, zombie etc. and battle on the Santa Fe Plaza.  Even though the weapons were not harmful (mostly pool noodles and water guns), the Santa Fe Police Department didn't allow the battle to take place, due to the lack of the proper permit.



I thought it was cool that the police didn't prohibit the event altogether, which I think would have happened in my home town.  Instead, the battle was moved to the Santa Fe River.




I didn't dress up - I thought my costume wouldn't be good enough.  I definitely wish I had, though, because I would have loved to be part of the battle! However, I did bring my camera, so I got some cool pictures. 




Most of the participants were in their 20's, but ages ranged from about 6-years-old to ??  Those kids were sneaky, too!



The best part about the battle was the huge variety of costumes... Like this housewife vs. the kid from Lord of the Flies (I don't know if that was his costume, but it was definitely his character.)


I had almost as much fun as the participants, just watching the battle unfold.


I think art groups like Meow Wolf make Santa Fe awesome and contribute to its reputation as "The City Different."  It's definitely the right place for me at this stage in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here, but be nice or I will delete them!